Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Identity Theft. The Ease of Becoming Someone Else

by Matthew Frank - Inside Sales rep at MAC Source Communications

I'm not actually telling you how to do the stuff in the title, it's more of a way to grab your attention. 

I called up my phone cable company a while back and figured out how easy it was to change the agreement we had in terms of service and channels.  I didn't have my account # so they asked me to verify my birthday and the last 4 digits of my social security #.  Not my whole social security # but the last 4 digits.  To me, this is not safe, let me tell you why.

First off, anyone can go on Facebook, Twitter, or even my Linkedin account and see when my birthday is.  In fact, I make it publicly broadcasted (I guess I like all the "HAPPY BIRTHDAYS" I get on that day).  Secondly, most places you go to, or things you sign that ask for your soocial security # only ask for the last 4.  It's really easy to get it.  All you would need to do is get my birthday, year I graduated from my college, and my mother's maiden name, and you could get my transcript for my college (which has my college ID on it and that allows me to reset your password to my college account).  Then you have all my personal information including either my full social security # or at least the last 4 digits.  It's that simple.

I have a friend who, in the past couple of years has been fighting identity theft.  Someone opened up a credit card in his name and ran the bill up, then left him to be stuck with it.  When he called to dispute it, the credit card companies told him it was his card.  They told him, he signed up for it, he ran the bill up, and they weren't going to help him.  He was stuck with a $6,000.00 bill he couldn't pay.  That destroyed his credit to the point where he needed a cosigner to sign for his apt when he was clearly making triple the income he needed to be making to sign it.

Identity theft is real.  The best way to stop them, is to think like them.

Join MAC Source Communications and Information Security Expert and Penetration Tester Steve Stasiukonis on September 13th from 11:00-11:45 am to learn how to "Rob A Bank With Facebook" and protect your business from people with malicious intent.

You can sign up by clicking here

No comments:

Post a Comment